- Its other names are: petroleum asphalt, mineral pitch and black top.
- Its color is dark brown or black and is a mixture of aromatic hydrocarbon and paraffin which contains sulfur hydrogen and oxygen.
- It is soluble in carbon disulfide only.
- 450 OC and its auto ignition temperature is 482 OC
- It is explosive in nature and useful as an electric insulator.
- It is present in its natural form but also prepared from the residual left after petrol refinement.
- Its fumes are dangerous for lungs
- It is used in paving and road coding, also in roof and wall coding.
- Present in special kinds of paints and adhesives
- This compound is used to reduce the thickness of the cheap grade rubber.
It is also used as a radioactive material destroying agent, anti-corrosion compound, and as a synthetic tariff