- Its other names are
- Oxymethylene, formic aldehyde methyl,
- Present in the form of gas or aqueous concentrated form. Basically it is a gas that is present in the air. In its aqueous form, a 37 % to 50% solution is made which is called formalin. Formalin has 15% methanol.
- It has a pungent smell and its boiling point is -19 OC
- The freezing point is -118 C with an auto ignition point as 430degree Celsius.
- It is soluble in water and alcohol.
CHARACTERISTICS OF FARMALINE
- It is 37% solution with 15 % methanol and the boiling point is 96O C
- The flash point is 50 degree Celsius (without methanol)
- Density is 1.08
- It is obtained by the synthetic oxidation of methanol.
- Also obtained by the oxidation of petroleum gases like propene and butane having low temperatures
- Silver, copper and iron molybdenum oxides are the catalyst that help in the oxidation
Aqueous solution (formalin) 37, 40, 44 and 50 percent
- It can be poisonous if inhaled.
- Causes irritation and is flammable in nature
- It is used in the urea and melamine resins, phenolic resins, ethylene glycol, fertilizers, hardening agent, reducing agent, textile fabrics, cosmetic manufacturing, adhesives, germ killing chemicals.