Fountain Pen Ink Formula
Fountain Pen Ink
Fountain pen ink formula is a specially formulated ink designed for use in fountain pens. It is different from other types of inks, such as ballpoint pen or rollerball pen ink, as it has specific properties that allow it to flow smoothly and evenly through the nib of a fountain pen formulation .
Key features of fountain pen ink making formula
- Water-based ink: Fountain pen ink is typically water-based, meaning it is primarily composed of water as its solvent. This makes it easy to clean and maintain fountain pens.
- Variety of colors: Fountain pen inks come in a wide range of colors, from traditional options like black, blue, and red to vibrant and unique shades. This variety allows fountain pen users to personalize their writing and artistic expressions.
- Dye-based or pigment-based: Fountain pen inks can be either dye-based or pigment-based. Dye-based inks are more common and provide a wide range of colors with good flow characteristics. Pigment-based inks contain suspended solid particles and often offer better water resistance and permanence, although they may require more frequent cleaning of the pen.
- Ink properties: Fountain pen ink has a property to balanced viscosity and surface tension. This ensures smooth ink flow from the pen’s reservoir to the nib, providing a consistent writing experience. It is important to use ink that is compatible with the specific fountain pen to prevent clogging or flow issues.
- Dry time and feathering: Different fountain pen inks have varying dry times, ranging from quick-drying to slower-drying inks. It’s essential to consider the intended use of the ink, as slower-drying inks may be more prone to smudging. Feathering, which is the spreading of ink along the paper fibers . It can occur with certain types of paper and ink combinations. Testing different inks on different papers can help determine the best combination for optimal results.
- Special properties: Some fountain pen inks offer unique properties, such as shading (variation in color intensity), sheening (reflective color shifts), or shimmer (containing small metallic particles that add sparkle to the ink). These special properties can enhance the visual appeal of the writing or artwork.
Ink Product making guide
When making the fountain pen ink, it is important to follow the CFS manufacturer’s instructions for making the fountain pen ink raw material including machinery, processing ,mixing, staying time and maintaining optimal performance of the unit.
Overall, fountain pen ink formulation offers a wide range of colors and characteristics, allowing fountain pen ink as a brand product.
If you are looking to start this business buy the formula and start your own ink industry.